Individual Regional qualifiers include Josh Green, Arish Bheraiya, Trey Mathis, Kent Morris, Jace Bagwell Ivy Casteel, Victoria Weeks, Clint Jordan, Danielle Sonnier, Alex Borel, Triston Stringer, Haley Wright, and Jacob Richard. Also competing at Region, in Literary Criticism, are Ivy Casteel, Tori Weeks, and Mallory Gautreaux. Sean Laughlin, Kent Morris, Eric Rushing, and Shri Murthy are Mathematics Team competitors and the Number Sense Team of Eric Rushing, Clint Jordan, Shri Murthy, and Josh Green will compete.
The Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School Academic and Literary Team claimed “District” following the One Act Play’s advancement to “Area” on Thursday, March 28.
The team garnered 408 points to claim “Sweepstakes.” This is an impressive increase from the 285 points that earned them a third place team total in 2012. PNG took Second Place this year with 385 points, and Nederland Third Place with 268 points.
Individual competition results include:
· Josh Green – Third Place Current Events
· Arish Bheraiya – First Place Computer Science
· John Michael Moore – Sixth Place Computer Science
· Sarah St. John – Fourth Place Editorial Writing
· Izzy Echartea – Sixth Place Feature Writing, Fourth Place Headline Writing
· Trey Mathis – Second Place Informative Speaking
· Kent Morris – Third Place Informative Speaking
· Ryan Keszeg – Sixth Place Informative Speaking
· Jace Bagwell – First Place Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Third Place Persuasive Speaking
· Ivy Casteel – First Place Literary Criticism, Second Place Lincoln-Douglas Debate
· Victoria Weeks – Second Place Literary Criticism
· Mallory Gautreaux – Sixth Place Literary Criticism
· Eric Rushing – Fourth Place Mathematics, First Place Number Sense
· Sean Laughlin – Sixth Place Mathematics, Fifth Place Science
· Clint Jordan – Second Place Number Sense
· Danielle Sonnier – Second Place News Writing
· Kara Stanford – Sixth Place Persuasive Speaking, Second Place Social Studies
· Alex Borel – Second Place Poetry
· Triston Stringer – Third Place Poetry
· Rebecca Sanford – Fourth Place Poetry
· Haley Wright – Second Place Prose
· Jacob Richard – Third Place Prose
· Kristin Yokum – Sixth Place Prose
· Tiffany Vu – Fifth Place Spelling
Results from all of the “Speaking Events” combined made LCM First Place Team in that category.
A win from LCM’s One Act Play, “SMASH,” put the Bears over the top for the District Title and Sweepstakes. OAP actors are Alex Borel, Alexa Guilbeau, Kaitlyn Stewart, Kristin Yokum, Haley Wright, Courtney Atherton, Triston Stringer, Aaron Rose, Hunter Hodges, and Austin White. The crew includes Kelsey Strother, Emily Corley, Clint Jordan, Shannon Boozer, and Amanda Warner. Alternates are Hannah Lea, Jacob Richard, Jonathan Umbenhaur, and Halli Underhill.
First Place went to the Literary Criticism Team of Ivy Casteel, Tori Weeks, and Mallory Gautreaux.
The Mathematics Team also won First Place with Sean Laughlin, Kent Morris, Eric Rushing, and Shri Murthy, as did the Number Sense Team of Eric Rushing, Clint Jordan, Shri Murthy, and Josh Green.
The Computer Science Team took Second Place. Team members are Arish Bheraiya, John Michael Moore, Jonas English, and Jonah Boaz.
Second Place also went to the Social Studies Team of Kara Stanford, Hannah Smith, Trey Mathis, and Josh Green.
All First Place Teams and the top three places in each category will advance to Regional competition, which will be held April 19 and 20.
Students - individual competitors and teams – gathered for a group photo before the One Act Play Cast left to earn their place in Area competition in April.